Wallpaper is a coating that easily becomes part of any room’s decor. Practical, beautiful and stylish, it can transform spaces and, above all, it is easy to apply.
If you want to renew the decoration of any environment without spending too much, learn how to put on wallpaper and be surprised by the practicality of its application.
Advantages of using wallpaper
Rose gold wallpaper to bring a stylish touch to the room.
Investing in wallpapers for home decor, in addition to being a great aesthetic option, is also an opportunity to save money and exercise creativity. See just some of the advantages of using this material.
Wallpapers can be used on entire parts or simply on a few pieces of wall. It is not necessary to buy large quantities to compose entire walls. It is up to you how to use them.
Easy to apply
As it is a simple and very practical material, wallpaper has very good adhesion and, therefore, it is easy to apply it to walls. In other words, you can put the wallpaper in the best DIY style, that is, do it yourself (in Portuguese, do it yourself)!
As it is a simple material, it is not necessary to use noisy tools, such as drills or sandpaper, in its application. In other words, if you live with children or elderly people, applying the wallpaper will not be a problem, as the execution will not generate noise or chaos of disorganization.
The wallpaper printed with plants is on the rise!
One of the coolest features of wallpaper is precisely being able to innovate and express creativity in different ways, after all, there is a huge variety of prints, textures, styles, colors and aesthetics when it comes to wallpaper.
Most of the wallpapers sold on the market have a great cost-benefit ratio. The value of the footage depends only on the chosen print. This makes it easier to buy different types to try them on in your home decor.
Most architects consider wallpaper a very durable coating, depending only on the quality of the chosen paper. Therefore, it is worth researching and discovering which are the best types of papers, to invest in those of higher quality and, consequently, durability.
Materials needed to apply wallpaper
Floral wallpaper: a delicate and very beautiful proposal.
To apply wallpaper, it is essential to have all the necessary materials. To do this, have the measurements of the walls on which you intend to apply the paper at hand.
Materials are easily found in building supply stores. Are they:
- Wallpaper of your choice. Remember to buy a little more, in addition to the defined footage, to make any necessary adjustments;
- Wallpaper glue;
- Container to dilute the glue;
- Water to dilute the glue;
- Roller and paintbrush to apply the glue;
- Measuring tape or measuring tape;
- Scissors and stylus for making adjustments;
- Spatula to eliminate air bubbles;
- Cloth and sponge for cleaning paper;
- Ladder to reach every corner of the wall.
How to put wallpaper
Children’s wallpaper with dinosaur print: a beautiful option for the children’s room and you can install it yourself.
Now that you know what materials are needed to apply the wallpaper, it’s time to get your hands dirty. Or rather: on papers!
Check out the step-by-step instructions on how to set wallpaper below.
1. The first step is to measure the walls, with a measuring tape or measuring tape, before buying the paper. This step is extremely important to avoid unnecessary expenses, and even the lack of material to complete the wall.
In addition, windows and outlets must also be marked. The switch plates must be removed before applying the paper. The marking is very important, as it will be necessary to cut the paper before resuming the application.
Water green textured washable vinyl wallpaper: rich in detail!
2. Next, wipe the wall surface with a damp cloth so that it is free from dirt and imperfections, and let it dry naturally.
Another very important point is the preparation of the wallpaper pattern. That is, if you have chosen a patterned paper, which has a specific pattern, it is essential to identify how the design will look on the wall. Therefore, it is important to open the roll of paper, visualize the complete pattern of the print, understand its beginning and its repetition.
3. Now it’s time to cut the paper. At this stage, it is essential that the leftovers are calculated, so the tip is to always calculate 10% more paper in addition to the height measurement.
So, to cut the strips, it is necessary to keep 10 cm of clearance, with 5 cm above and 5 cm below for adjustments. If the paper is printed, do this following the pattern so as not to lose the sense of the design.
Finally, with the scissors and the knife, cut the strips that were measured and will be applied to the wall.
4. Prepare the mixture of glue and water in a container. You can do this step by following the instructions for use on the glue package. However, mixing with water is important to maximize the glue’s efficiency.
5. Apply the glue to the paper. To avoid making a mess, protect the floor from splashes by covering it. Then, with the roller and the paintbrush, apply the glue to the paper.
After spreading the glue, fold the paper strip, leaving glue with glue, that is, the internal parts with glue should touch. This process ensures that the glue does not dry out. And don’t worry: so that the paper doesn’t stick, just leave it for a maximum of 5 minutes.
6. Next, with a ladder, start the application from the top-down, that is, start from the ceiling to the floor, fitting the corners and ensuring that there is paper leftover (remember the 10 cm?). You can use a dry cloth to aid in gluing, always making sure the gluing is not crooked.
When you find the markings on the windows and switches, calmly cut them off immediately. Do not leave to make the cutouts later, as it will not be possible to remove them with dry glue.
7. Get rid of bubbles with the help of a dry cloth. To do this, keep the movement from top to bottom and, very carefully and gently, smooth the paper over the wall.
8. To eliminate the leftover paper, with the help of the spatula, delimit the corners and then, with the stylus, go uniformly cutting the wallpaper leftovers, very calmly.
9. Clean the seams with the help of a damp cloth, in the case of traditional wallpapers or TNT-type papers. If it is a vinyl paper, use a dry sponge to clean it. This process is important to remove excess glue from the corners of the wall.
But be careful: don’t rub the paper to avoid damaging it. Remove excesses calmly and gently.
10. Stand back, observe and enjoy your artwork in the best DIY style!
Types of wallpaper
Retro striped green and beige wallpaper: great idea to combine the environment with vintage decor, for example!
There are different types of patterns, textures and wallpaper colors. In addition, there are also several different materials that can be used according to the durability and environments selected for the application of each one.
Made from cellulose, traditional wallpaper is a little more fragile than the rest, as it is made entirely of paper. Therefore, it is important that its application is carried out in environments that do not receive much moisture.
Made of paper made from PVC, it is more resistant to light, dust, and moisture. Therefore, it is the most suitable wallpaper for humid environments such as bathrooms.
The vinyl wallpaper with black arabesque detailing is very resistant and practical.
Fiberglass wallpaper is very strong and recognized for protecting walls very effectively as it is fire resistant. In addition, glass fibers trap moisture through their insulating properties, preventing mold from proliferating on the walls.
However, its application must be done by a professional, as it is a delicate material, which needs to be handled correctly, avoiding breakage and possible accidents. Because of its functionality, it is also a slightly more expensive material.
Similar to tissue, TNT wallpaper, i.e. non-woven tissue paper, is composed of polyester fibers and cellulose, so it is more resistant. Thus, it is the most suitable for dry and brighter environments, to prevent mold.
Bamboo wallpaper is natural, has antiseptic functions (prevents fungi and germs) and is also sustainable. In addition, it is quite resistant, but it is more susceptible to be modified by the humidity conditions of the space, so it is not advisable for humid or poorly ventilated environments.
Textile wallpaper is very varied and can be made from different types of fabrics such as silk, raffia, cotton, yarn, linen, felt or feathers. Due to its composition, it is more resistant to stains and has good thermal insulation, so it is more suitable for colder environments.
Using wallpaper with colors from the same palette as the furniture composes the environment in an interesting way. Source: Pinterest
Kitchens generally receive more moisture and waste from handling food. Therefore, it is important to opt for wallpapers that have greater resistance to these agents, such as fiberglass and vinyl wallpapers, for example.
Living room wallpaper
The living room is an environment that receives more elements, furniture and more specific decoration. Therefore, it is interesting to apply fewer details on the walls so as not to “weigh” the space.
The wallpaper with texture is very beautiful in that environment.
So, in addition to aesthetics, it is important to pay attention to durability and also pay attention to the material chosen, after all, the idea is to choose a wallpaper that is easier to clean, such as traditional wallpaper, for example.
Wallpaper for bedroom
For a more subtle and delicate decor style, retro patterned wallpaper is a great choice.
The bedroom is a space that tends to be drier, so the choice of wallpaper is not so complex in this case. Just choose with aesthetics, durability and cost-effectiveness in mind. So, choose an option that suits your style and pleases you.
Beige tones are beautiful in this environment.
Bathrooms are extremely humid environments, especially if you are a fan of hot water. Therefore, less water-resistant wallpapers are bad options in this case. So, avoid traditional paper in this kind of environment.
A good choice is vinyl wallpaper, with simpler prints and more vibrant colors to subtly highlight the space.
How to clean the wallpaper
Pink floral wallpaper, a more neutral option.
Each type of wallpaper, that is, each material needs a specific type of cleaning. There are materials that require a vacuum cleaner, others need detergents, for example.
Traditional wallpaper can be cleaned with a simple damp cloth.
Therefore, when choosing wallpaper, it is important to pay attention to the type of cleaning that each material requires, after all, to ensure its durability, it needs to be properly cleaned.
let the creativity flow
There is a huge variety of decor possibilities that can be created through the colors, prints, textures and styles of wallpapers. In this process, it is very important that you have fun, connect with your home and let your creativity flow. So, research, get inspired and enjoy!